FISH and CHIP SHOPS
Past and Present
A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY
1. Ramsden’s Chippy. was on the corner of Grandsatand Road and Lingwell Gate Lane, closed in the 1960s and is now a private home.
2. The Grille Bar. Was down on the Potovens Lane parade of shops.
3. Outwood Fisheries. A recently opened Fish Shop, was Cath’s Catch.
4.Buffy Bar. Was at the lower end of Church Lane opposite the council est, it is now Hair Planet hairdressers.
5. Tommy Marley’s Chippy. Was at the end of Potovens Lane, Lofthouse Gate.
6. Stead’s Fish & Chips. Was on the Leeds Road next to The Sun, opposite Canal Lane, there was a long path up to what was a terrace house, now private. As a kid I was fascinated with their square fish cakes.
7. Frost’s Fish & Chips. A very firm favourite with Outwood folk and one of the last coal fired chip shops in the country. Was formerly early 60s Jack Saxon’s then Ruddocks, Lynda’s, Kev’s, and now Tony’s.
8. Atkinson’s Chippy. Was next to Outwood Empire, Bert Atkinson had a bookies in a small garden hut at the rear, his wife ran the Chippy. it is now Outwood DIY.
9. The Empier Drive Through Fish and Chips. It is still is on Leeds Road and was formely the Outwood Empire Cinema and Mike’s Carpets.
10. Annies Fish & Chip Shop. Was probably Outwoods favourite fish shop, situated in the hollow it was started with the Chauvets then taken over by Leonard Godfrey and finally it became Annies and still is.
11. Bradley’s Fish & Chip Shop. Was next to Wilson’s shop(Now Harpin’s Funeral’s) on Ledger Lane, my mam would not let me go there, someone had told her that a set of false teeth was once fished out of the pan.
12. Hartley’s Fish & Chips. Was situated in a small building at the bottom of Bolus Lane on the left, Joe Hartley once told me, he was the very first fish shop to make Collops.
13. Nellies Chippy. Was at the bottom of Newton Lane opposite The Nightingale Pub.
14. Dolphin Fisheries. Was on the Victoria corner and was Minter’s before that. It is now an Indian takeaway.
15, Kelsey’s Fish Shop. Was on First Avenue, Newton Hill used to be Wing Fong and is now Kings Garden Chinese takeaway.
16. Tallent’s Chippy. Was next to Fitton’s Garage, Leeds Road, Newton Hill and is now The Shanghai Chinese takeaway.
ANYMORE INFORMATION TO ADD TO THE ABOVE WOULD BE VERY WELCOME Contact below